Nurturing a confident toddler
- Community Posts
How can you nurture a confident toddler?
Watch this video for some tips on how you can help your toddler to grow up feeling secure and resilient.
Here are 5 ways to help create a confident toddler who will grow up feeling secure and resilient:
- Let her know that she’s special and valued - even when things go wrong. Trying and having a go is the most important thing of all.
- Allow her to make safe decisions for herself, such as which T-shirt she’d like to wear today. This helps her build a sense of autonomy and lets her know that her feelings and thoughts are important to you.
- Show her you’re proud of her when she does well, particularly in those tricky scenarios that toddlers find difficult like sharing or saying sorry. Self-control is not easy for any toddler to master and nothing will make her prouder than knowing you can see she did her best.
- Of course she won’t always be a perfect, well-behaved princess - she wouldn’t be a toddler otherwise! Sometimes some extra guidance and teaching are necessary but try not to use threats or words like “bad” or “awful”.
- Questions are a great way to help your toddler think about her behaviour - try things like “What’s a nicer way to ask for something we want?”
A place to share the joins and questions of parenthood with other mums, and our Careline of experts.
community has to say
What our community says about Nurturing a confident toddlerYou are not following any mums at the moment!